The Sidestep Wallet
It’s basically a clipless money clip and while we love ALL our wallet designs equally, we probably love this one more equal than the rest. It’ll feel flimsy without cards in it, because the full grain mustang horsefront leather is so incredibly soft and supple, but still full grain so it’s incredibly durable. With cards in the slots it securely pinches the cash in the center so it won’t fall out but is still easily accessible.
Four credit card slots (two in front of cash slot, two behind) horizontal format wallet with a central cash slot that securely holds US dollars (or similarly sized world currencies) folded in half. 4-12ish card capacity, plus cash.
Laser cut from a single piece of select Horween horsefront leathers for a durable, ultra-low-profile pocket fit, folded and hand stitched.
Monogram/Engraving Notes: We do not recommend black mustang if you would like easily legible monogramming/engraving. This leather is a very subtle engraving and does not stand out (see the nearly invisible FFF logo on the back of the photos).
Dimensions: 89mm x 71mm (approximately 3.5″ x 2.75″).What kind of leather does FFF use?All of our leather goods are made using Horween leather. Horween is a tannery in Chicago, Illinois that has been in business since 1905. There are excellent tanneries around the world, and others based in the US, but we’ve chosen to use only Horween as we just love their product and their history of commitment to excellence. You can find more information about the leathers themselves all over the web, and particularly straight from the source at Horween, but here are some notes focusing mainly how we use their various tannages in our products (obviously color is a key factor for us when choosing a leather to make a product, but perhaps more important is how the leather ‘works’, as some work excellently in one product but not in another…and not every color is available in every tannage, so a part of the FFF design process is choosing which leathers will be used to make a product and accounting for its particular characteristics while designing).
For our products, a regular CXL leather is used when we can use a thicker leather that doesn’t need to be size-critical; CXL will stretch a bit with use to conform to whatever it’s used for…so, we can’t use a regular cowhide CXL leather for a custom length watchband but it works great for an adjustable watchband or a clutch. It will scuff easily, but a little friction with your thumb will remove all but the deepest gouges easily.
Horsefront can be tanned in several different ways, and each way produces pluses and minuses:
Due to the hand-made-to-order nature of our products, if it is the holidays or during one of our very rare sales when orders spike, the crafting time will increase, and your ‘to the door’ time will also increase.
Your order gets to your door as (crafting time)+(time in transit). You will receive an email when your order ships with tracking information to follow its progress (check your spam folder for an email from us)…do note that USPS/international tracking (and shipping speed in general) is a bit less reliable than FedEx, particularly during the holidays–you get what you pay for, but if you’re willing to wait a bit the USPS is a great lower cost option.
United States Postal Service (USPS) domestic shipping: Low cost, and typically reliable except during the holiday season or other times of heavy demand, when delivery times can slip drastically. Quoted USPS shipping times are an estimate, and are not guaranteed.
- Economy Shipping (USPS First Class; $0.00): standard crafting time, and then 2-6+ days in transit. NOTE: free economy shipping does not include replacement of lost/damaged/stolen-in-transit goods. You are rolling the dice with the USPS/porch pirates.
- Standard (USPS First Class; $2.50 per order + 1% of order total): Same shipping speed as Economy, but we will send a free replacement of any items damaged/lost in transit, and will re-make and re-ship your order if it has not arrived within 21 days of shipment.
FedEx domestic shipping: Higher cost, higher reliability, date-specific delivery. See FedEx US Service Guide for a more complete description of services and obligations. We do not require signatures on domestic FedEx shipments. All FedEx shipment options include the same replacement for lost/damaged goods as Standard shipping, above.
- FedEx 2day: ($8.25, free with $175 order) standard crafting time (will vary during holidays/other times of heavy demand), plus 2 business days in transit. You will receive an email when your order ships with a tracking number and a guaranteed delivery date.
- FedEx Overnight: Priority crafting (your order moves to the head of the current crafting line), plus next business day delivery.
Form•Function•Form shall not be responsible for loss damage, or theft of any order shipped internationally via USPS/your-local-government-postal-carrier. No refunds shall be offered on international shipping fees/product charges due to delays in transit or lost/stolen merchandise shipped via USPS. For guaranteed delivery dates and packages insured against loss, theft, and damage, please use the FedEx delivery options. CUSTOMS OFFICES IN YOUR COUNTRY CAN CAUSE EXTREMELY LONG DELAYS AT TIMES. THIS IS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do if your USPS order is taking a long time. If you need an order in a timely manner, we suggest FedEx.
- Economy shipping via USPS First Class Package International (about $12; price varies by location and shipment weight–max weight 4 pounds. Add products to cart to find your exact shipping fee): standard crafting time, plus 10-30+ days in transit (customs dependent, NOTE: customs delays are possible and completely unavoidable from our end. If your country’s customs office is slow, or backed up–particularly during the holidays–your package will simply sit until they get to it).
- Expedited via FedEx (price varies by location, depending on weight): Priority crafting (your order moves to the head of the current crafting line), plus 1-5 business days in transit. Check your specific country at the FedEx Rates and Transit Times estimator, from US zip code 32804. By default, we ship international orders as ‘signature required.’
- All returns are subject to our returns policy, visible here.
- Free return shipping for all US orders. Contact us via our contact page for a pre-paid label.
- International customers: we encourage you to ship return orders via insured, signature-confirmation methods AFTER contacting us–please do not ship items without first contacting us in case we need you to keep certain items for an exchange, or other specifics related to your order. Form•Function•Form shall not be responsible for return shipments that are lost, damaged, or otherwise do not make it to our studio in the condition they left your hands. Contact us before returning any goods; we reserve the right to refuse delivery/refund/replacement of any goods returned without prior authorization.
Been using for over a month now this is by the the best wallet I have ever used or seen! It took all my cards and cash that used to fit in my wallet and is still less than half the size of my previous wallet. Quality is top notch! That leather smell is devine! So slim that you’ll forget you even have it in your pocket! Also, the customer service is unmatched!
Out of this world customer service! Shawn reached out to me and resolved an issue without being asked! The wallet is exceptionally built and a joy to use, it's an amazing little wallet AND Shawn went to great lengths to make me happy....he has a customer for life.
I guess I don't carry enough cards to keep the whole thing together in a tight package, very loose. But it's beautiful made. I've just been scaling back and it's seems there should be more cards in it.
Hey Paul...just to check; when you say scaling back, did you have more cards in it and have now taken some out? If so, the leather has stretched a bit and it will take a little to reconform to the new number of cards in the slots. But I don’t want you to be unhappy with the wallet at all, so send me an email if it hasn’t gotten better. I guess it’s possible that you got a stretchy piece of leather that is just too loose (doesn’t usually happen with this kind of horsefront but it’s always possible, given that no two hides are the same). I’ve used this wallet with one card in each slot and not had an issue so it seems like something is amiss here, and if it doesn’t work for you I want to make it right. So let me know.
My wife got this for me for Father's Day, and I could tell by the look on her face she was afraid I would never consider it - but after already taking out a portion of my traditional 'fat' wallet in an attempt to make it slimmer, I eagerly started fitting the puzzle pieces together, and like magic, all of my cards, cash, and receipts fit like a dream. This wallet is so slim I don't even have to wear it in my hip pocket! It's incredibly functional, easy to use, and holds more than you might think. If you're looking for a slim, highly engineered, well-planned, well-crafted wallet, this is it. I can't believe we've had to wait generations for this kind of clever wallet "re-imagining". Thanks, FFF!!! - Mark Wahlberg
I have about 2 dozen slim wallets and money clips. This is, by far, the best way to carry your minimal cards and cash. It's foot pint is the smallest you can get for a cash carrying wallet because it is just large enough to cover a bill folded in the best way, in half. The clipless money clip is such a great feature; no more quad or tri folding bills; no more smashing bills under elastic; and, no more having bills getting frayed and viewable to the public with money clips. Cards are well covered and protected from keys, etc. The leather is thin, supple and high quality. The total wallet is extremely thin. The stitching is top notch.
Reply to the previous review emboldened me to go for max break-in. Put FOUR cards in each of the side-by-side slots and a DOZEN bills in cash. In testament to the quality of materials and build, the Sidestep took it like a champ. AND the the thumb-hole pocket still worked well, sliding the cards out easily. I've been using mine now with two cards in the side-by-sides - taking out and inserting cards easily - and with two to six/eight bills in cash which is easily accessed and held securely. So with six cards and needed cash, the Sidestep is a neat, compact package only slightly larger than the cards alone. I demonstrated to myself that you COULD load as many as ten cards and a bundle of cash, but when I realized the BULK was due mostly to the contents, I prioritized and got the total thickness down to a tad over 5/8". Slim, compact, secure carry; I like it!