The Slip Notebook Cover – Nature Series
We partnered with local Orlando Artist Nate Schweigert (@nate.geo on IG) to engrave his nature-inspired art onto a selection of our products. The notebook is held in place by sliding the rear cover through a handstitched leather strap in the back, leaving the cover free of stitching to be engraved with the artwork of your choice. Delivered with one notebook installed, easily replaceable with offerings from Amazon or your local paper goods store.
20% of each Slip sold goes to the partner artist.
“Large/Journal” size Moleskine Cahier notebook is standard. “XL/Desk” size available.What kind of leather does FFF use?All of our leather goods are made using Horween leather. Horween is a tannery in Chicago, Illinois that has been in business since 1905. There are excellent tanneries around the world, and others based in the US, but we’ve chosen to use only Horween as we just love their product and their history of commitment to excellence. You can find more information about the leathers themselves all over the web, and particularly straight from the source at Horween, but here are some notes focusing mainly how we use their various tannages in our products (obviously color is a key factor for us when choosing a leather to make a product, but perhaps more important is how the leather ‘works’, as some work excellently in one product but not in another…and not every color is available in every tannage, so a part of the FFF design process is choosing which leathers will be used to make a product and accounting for its particular characteristics while designing).
For our products, a regular CXL leather is used when we can use a thicker leather that doesn’t need to be size-critical; CXL will stretch a bit with use to conform to whatever it’s used for…so, we can’t use a regular cowhide CXL leather for a custom length watchband but it works great for an adjustable watchband or a clutch. It will scuff easily, but a little friction with your thumb will remove all but the deepest gouges easily.
Horsefront can be tanned in several different ways, and each way produces pluses and minuses:
Due to the hand-made-to-order nature of our products, if it is the holidays or during one of our very rare sales when orders spike, the crafting time will increase, and your ‘to the door’ time will also increase.
Your order gets to your door as (crafting time)+(time in transit). You will receive an email when your order ships with tracking information to follow its progress (check your spam folder for an email from us)…do note that USPS/international tracking (and shipping speed in general) is a bit less reliable than FedEx, particularly during the holidays–you get what you pay for, but if you’re willing to wait a bit the USPS is a great lower cost option.
United States Postal Service (USPS) domestic shipping: Low cost, and typically reliable except during the holiday season or other times of heavy demand, when delivery times can slip drastically. Quoted USPS shipping times are an estimate, and are not guaranteed.
- Economy Shipping (USPS First Class; $0.00): standard crafting time, and then 2-6+ days in transit. NOTE: free economy shipping does not include replacement of lost/damaged/stolen-in-transit goods. You are rolling the dice with the USPS/porch pirates.
- Standard (USPS First Class; $2.50 per order + 1% of order total): Same shipping speed as Economy, but we will send a free replacement of any items damaged/lost in transit, and will re-make and re-ship your order if it has not arrived within 21 days of shipment.
FedEx domestic shipping: Higher cost, higher reliability, date-specific delivery. See FedEx US Service Guide for a more complete description of services and obligations. We do not require signatures on domestic FedEx shipments. All FedEx shipment options include the same replacement for lost/damaged goods as Standard shipping, above.
- FedEx 2day: ($8.25, free with $175 order) standard crafting time (will vary during holidays/other times of heavy demand), plus 2 business days in transit. You will receive an email when your order ships with a tracking number and a guaranteed delivery date.
- FedEx Overnight: Priority crafting (your order moves to the head of the current crafting line), plus next business day delivery.
Form•Function•Form shall not be responsible for loss damage, or theft of any order shipped internationally via USPS/your-local-government-postal-carrier. No refunds shall be offered on international shipping fees/product charges due to delays in transit or lost/stolen merchandise shipped via USPS. For guaranteed delivery dates and packages insured against loss, theft, and damage, please use the FedEx delivery options. CUSTOMS OFFICES IN YOUR COUNTRY CAN CAUSE EXTREMELY LONG DELAYS AT TIMES. THIS IS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do if your USPS order is taking a long time. If you need an order in a timely manner, we suggest FedEx.
- Economy shipping via USPS First Class Package International (about $12; price varies by location and shipment weight–max weight 4 pounds. Add products to cart to find your exact shipping fee): standard crafting time, plus 10-30+ days in transit (customs dependent, NOTE: customs delays are possible and completely unavoidable from our end. If your country’s customs office is slow, or backed up–particularly during the holidays–your package will simply sit until they get to it).
- Expedited via FedEx (price varies by location, depending on weight): Priority crafting (your order moves to the head of the current crafting line), plus 1-5 business days in transit. Check your specific country at the FedEx Rates and Transit Times estimator, from US zip code 32804. By default, we ship international orders as ‘signature required.’
- All returns are subject to our returns policy, visible here.
- Free return shipping for all US orders. Contact us via our contact page for a pre-paid label.
- International customers: we encourage you to ship return orders via insured, signature-confirmation methods AFTER contacting us–please do not ship items without first contacting us in case we need you to keep certain items for an exchange, or other specifics related to your order. Form•Function•Form shall not be responsible for return shipments that are lost, damaged, or otherwise do not make it to our studio in the condition they left your hands. Contact us before returning any goods; we reserve the right to refuse delivery/refund/replacement of any goods returned without prior authorization.
If you're reading this review, you might be asking yourself: why would I spend almost $90 on a notebook cover? Like you, I was asking myself the same question, but having ordered a few things from FFF in the past, I knew that their products are in a league of their own, so I saved up and splurged. I'm happy to report that I couldn't be happier with my decision, and it was worth every penny. It's hard to overstate just how damn good the craftsmanship at FFF is. It's also hard to explain how a nice cover can somehow enhance the experience of using a notebook, but somehow this one does. It gives a weight and presence to the notebook that it simply doesn't have without this beautiful cover. I know it sounds silly, but it does. I'd compare it to the effect that getting a high quality pen has. It compels you to write more. It draws you to the notebook, makes you place greater value on it, and ultimately makes you obtain more benefit from whatever the purpose of that notebook is
I have ordered a few times from Form Function Form and have never been disappointed with the quality of the workmanship. I did make a mistake on one order, but the staff were very helpful correcting my mistake (and in time for the order to arrive for Christmas). I would not hesitate to recommend this company and its products to my friends and family.